All parents want their children to have only the best and the safest items. That’s why it’s very important to pay attention to details when it comes to kids clothes, toys, and other products.
Bright Side has collected the top tips on how to choose the best quality items for your kids.
7. Children’s beds
- The best material for a child’s bed is wood. It’s ecologically pure and it’s easy to clean it. Details and colors shouldn’t contain toxic substances.
- Beds for newborns shouldn’t be too “deep” so that parents can put the child inside without waking them.
- For older children, the space between the mattress and the upper part of railing should be at least 2 ft.
- The space between crib slats should be 2-3 in.
- Cribs with wheels should have with good brakes. Don’t forget to check them.
- There shouldn’t be any sharp corners or details.
- A bed should be robust and able to survive kids’ actively playing in them.
- A crib may also have silicone pads on the sides and corners so that a baby won’t be able to damage their teeth when they start to come in.
- Playpens made of wood are preferable but, if if there’s not enough space parents can also buy a playpen with a folding metal and plastic structure surrounded by mesh.
- If there are slats, the space between them should be 2-3 in.
- Be careful with folding playpens: a child may get injured by the folding mechanisms.
- It should be difficult to turn it over.
- 30 in-high playpens are considered to be the safest.
- They shouldn’t have any sharp corners or details.
- Before purchasing a playpen, check that all breaks and mechanisms are in working order.
5. Bassinet strollers
- It should be spacious and warm if you plan to use it in winter.
- The bottom should be straight and solid. This is necessary for the baby’s spine.
- All fabrics should be hypoallergenic. Outer fabrics should be water- and wind-resistant.
- It’s best if all fabrics are removable and can be washed.
- Good brakes are a must.
4. Strollers for walking
- Check the stroller’s stability: it shouldn’t be easy to turn it over.
- Remember that big wheels are great for bumpy roads and park paths, but they add extra weight.
- The stroller should have seat belts and a bumper bar. A baby will be able to hold the bar while you’re walking.
- The seat should be adjustable.
- A footrest is also pretty important.
- A mesh window at the top of the stroller is a good bonus that allows mothers look at their baby from above.
3. High chairs
- Stability is the most important thing when shopping for high chairs, so you should check all mechanisms and details.
- It shouldn’t have sharp corners or details.
- There are should also be safety belts and a footrest.
- Choose models with removable fabrics that you can take off and wash.
- The table tray should have a removable, washable feeding tray.
- Buy clothes made by brands you know well from specialized stores.
- It’s better to buy clothes made of natural materials like cotton, linen, and wool.
- If they include synthetic materials, make sure the percentage doesn’t exceed the norm.
- The stitching shouldn’t be rough or thick, but should be flat and high quality.
- Never buy clothes with a narrow neck, tiny buttons, or tight elastic bands.
- Make sure all buttons are sewn on tight so that a baby can’t pull them off and swallow them.
- Buttons also shouldn’t be too big, as this might cause some inconvenience.
- Try to buy toys only from specialized toy stores.
- The readable information about the materials a toy is made of, the manufacturer’s address, and quality certificates should be written on the label.
- Toys shouldn’t have sharp angles or details. The seams on stuffed toys should also be tight and sturdy.
- Details should be non-removable.
- Colors should be pretty neutral so they don’t affect the baby’s development.
- Smell a toy: an unpleasant and strong odor indicates that this toy contains toxic substances.
- If a toy has a slot for batteries, make sure all screws are hidden and don’t stick out.
- Don’t forget to wash and clean toys.
- If a toy has a hole in it, moisture can get in and create mold that will affect a child’s health. That’s why you have to clean toys regularly and dry them after washing.
IMPORTANT: Check all quality certificates and pay attention to the materials an item is made from. It’s recommended to choose products made of natural and hypoallergenic materials.
Do you thoroughly examine items for children before buying them?