Remember back in the day when turkey necks could only be found at our dinner table? Unfortunately, the more we age, the more common it is for us to see that saggy, wrinkled skin below our chin area. And while many seek cosmetic surgery to get rid of this feature, studies have shown that a 30-minute daily facial and neck exercise could make significant improvements in facial rejuvenation.
And because of that, Bright Side chose the best neck exercises you can begin today to start saying goodbye to the “turkey” living in you.
1. The forehead push
You can do this exercise sitting or standing — choose what’s more comfortable for you.
- Put your hands on your forehead and push your head against your hands. Don’t move your head or hands, just apply pressure.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same movement, but with your hands on your neck, and by pressing your head back. Then hold this for 10 seconds.
2. The swan neck
A classic yoga move, this exercise is simple yet effective.
- Turn your head to your left side, tilting back gently. Feel the muscles below your ears.
- Hold for 6 to 8 seconds.
- Return your head to the center and repeat the same movement for your right side.
3. The smooch
For this exercise, choose a comfortable chair and sit with your back straight.
- Lift your head and look at the ceiling.
- With your lips, start making kissing movements.
- Send 20 kisses to your ceiling and rest.
4. The gulping fish
Now that you’re sitting, you can start doing this next exercise.
- Look at the ceiling again, but this time, place your right hand at your collarbone and apply gentle, downward pressure.
- Wrap your lips around your teeth and start opening and closing your mouth.
- Repeat this movement 5 times.
- Switch hands and repeat the action 5 more times.
5. The neck lift
Now lay down on a mat with your stomach up, knees bent, and your arms straight alongside your torso.
- Slowly start raising your head and your neck off the ground.
- With your head still in the air, turn your head gently to the right and then to the left.
- Face your head forward to the beginning position and lower your head back to the ground.
- Repeat as many times as you can before feeling tired.
6. The upward facing dog
Still lying down, face your stomach down with your legs straight.
- With your elbows positioned right under your shoulders, straighten both your arms.
- Tilt your chin out and push up so that your body is in a reverse C position.
- Hold for several seconds and then repeat.
7. The swallowing stretch
Now you can go back to the sitting position and look again at the ceiling.
- Tilt your head backward, press your tongue on the roof of your mouth, and swallow.
- With your head still tilted back and your tongue pressed to the roof of your mouth, turn your head to the right and swallow.
- Return to the initial position and swallow.
- Turn your head to the left and swallow.
- For each direction, repeat 4 times.
What’s the best hour of the day for you to start doing these exercises?